Saturday, March 24, 2012

a dog

there is something about a dog person, or a dog family for that matter... dogs are like people, and sure i have never owned a cat, and i hear they are fabulous too. well, fabulous in the sense they are low maintenance, can be left alone for a week at a time, easy to play with and fairly small... i even hear they are smart, but even still, i, am a dog person.
dogs are referred to as part of a family, a member as a matter of fact. there's gotta be something special about that wouldn't you say?
my family, is a dog family. we have had since i can remember; Tisha, Molly, Simon, Sydney, Sophie and yes, Cubby. Here, are a few thoughts:
Tisha - big, uh, butt. the mutt, and always loved peanut butter.
Molly - the "youthful" one. snotty, and oh so lazy
Simon - i'll get back to him
Sydney - small, runt, precious, sad.
Sophie - BIG personality.
Cubby - oh cubby.

Simon, my Simon if you will has been around the block. This is what i mean by that... i can remember being little, as in living back at Lawndale little and driving out towards Harrisburg to pick him up. I remember sitting in the back, holding him on the way home and brainstorming names with Mom and Dad in the front... Simon, more specifically Simon Birch, from the movie at the time was a perfect fit. Simon IS my childhood. He is the absolute image of my family, and has 15 of my years, and my family wrapped up in his four feet.

I remember rushing off the bus and around the bend when I was little to play with him as soon as i could. I remember his broken leg in an unfortunate slamming the door accident. I remember I loved brushing him...something these days, not so much. I remember the tape that sat between his ears to keep them perked up and I remember the training that took place in our kitchen with baked turkey dogs to make sure he was as obedient as he could be. and i'll tell ya, he's a smart dog. we had him shaking, sitting, laying down, and even roll over once or twice. we were a proud family in those days. a real dog family if you will.

so there we were, all throughout middle school, high school, college and post. now to me, there is something about a childhood that can be wrapped up in something tangible, and for me and mine its my dog. he was my youth as he has seen me, my brother, and my family grow. he has moved with us, and he has been the first to greet me after a semester at college, or after a long three months at work. he is home, just as any other member of my family. He has always managed to stick by my side when the rents were arguing down stairs, or after i was yelled at for this that or the other,  he has always been the perfect pick me up,or the best welcome... bad breath and all.

so as the years roll by and the time starts to take its toll i think about the things a dog can represent. they are not just a "thing" that provides companionship. as a matter of fact, i would be hard pressed to find any dog family who feels otherwise. simply stated, he symbolizes growing. unfortunately growing old, but none the less growing up, something a dog teaches each member of its family to do through the true meaning of companionship. and well, i'm sure they don't call them a man's best friend for nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment