Friday, June 14, 2013

dad- the real rockstar

my dad is a rockstar. not only is he an unbelievable dad, but he is in a band. his band books gigs, they get paid to play, they have a website and a small little fan club. he's kind of a big deal. my dad really is a rockstar.

i could talk about the music thing, the drum thing, the i can't go home without seeing drumsticks and a practice pad on the counter thing, or i can talk about the real rockstar thing. and well, considering the whole father's day weekend thing... i'll go with the real rockstar gig he stars in. the dad gig.

my dad is unlike any other dad. he is passionate. he is strong-willed. he is stubborn. he is a giver. he is hilarious. my dad is one hell of a dad. when i think of my dad i think of all of these things and plenty more. but when i think of my dad and i, i am immediately a little girl being dropped off at seedlings pre-school, or hanging out on a tuesday night with epic desserts and Full House. i am right back in Silverdale, Pa on a snow day being pushed down our driveway into the white street ahead  (no traffic was coming, i swear). i am listening to Yes, "Tempted" by Squeeze or crazy Luau music in the living room. i am waiting up late until he's back from his work trip anxious to see what he brought home from his worldly travels. (usually it was a pin that represented the sate. i still have all of them. the Puffin from Alaska was my favorite - i think it was Alaska?) i can remember being a little girl with my dad more than anything else while growing up. i am without a doubt a dads girl, and i am without a doubt my fathers daughter.

i am stubborn.
i am passionate.
i am smart.
i am loyal.
i am sarcastic.
i am my fathers daughter.

among every beautiful memory of my dad and all of the exciting moments to come, i remember what it was like that one Christmas when it all could have been different. thankfully, we have had plenty Christmas's since and i am so thankful for that and every little inside joke we have shared since. now, i hold more closely the way he signs his notes, emails or texts...always xxoo versus the normal xoxo. i never go a day without looking at the note he handed me on the entryway of Sims in the women's quad at South Carolina as I stepped out of my dorm and into the next four years of my life and most important, there is never a day that i am not working hard to make sure he is proud...ever.

so from all the fathers days prior, to always being my valentine in all the years ahead, i love you dad. keep rockin' out. you're a great rockstar, and a great drummer.

love, me.
xxoo.





rockstar; the drummer kind.


No comments:

Post a Comment